What sets PikaOS apart?
PikaOS has a cute birb as the logo/mascot. Who doesn't love the little guy? OwO
Gaming Out Of The box
PikaOS is setup to enable as pain free as possible Linux gaming out of the box.
We include the best drivers for your hardware either baked into the OS or installable through our welcome app.
The combination of up to date drivers and a custom tweaked kernel means PikaOS is fast.
Due to the Ubuntu base and custom patches PikaOS has high levels of software and hardware compatability.
All of our code can be found on our github and our ppas are available on launchpad. Contributions are also very welcome!
May 2023 Update
* Rebased on Ubuntu 23.04 Lunar Lobster
* Replaced ibus with fcitx5 fixing all keyboard issues
* Every single package in the PikaOS repos has been upgraded to latest release
* Pipewire has been moved to PikaOS repos and will be updated regularly and with more buildopts such as AAC bluetooth audio
* New first-setup applications have been made for better inital setup (pika-gnome-first-setup on gnome, plasma-welcome on KDE) the old pika-welcome has been recycled as PikaOS HUB
* mintupdate has been swapped with ubuntu update-manager + flatpak hook because mintupdate is super buggy
* Filesystem choices for erase disk in calamares have been added
* bootloader has been swapped from systemd-boot to refind due to people having diffculties with it in dual boots and boot times
* Added more containers to apx
* Added AV1 VA-API patch to gstreamer
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the snap situation on PikaOS?
Why is apx present on this mutable distribution?
Why do you guys use pikman instead of apt like all the other ubuntu distributions?
Ubuntu is really slow moving distribution, isn't that terrible for a gaming distro?
- Using a list of very Polished PPA & Official Sources.
- Updating a lot of stuff ourselves.
- Enable proposed and backports repositories which unfreezes the repositories and allows feature updates, while keeping the distro rock stable.